Saturday, August 6, 2011

Something Worth Holding Out For.

Ronald and Nancy's engagement photo

On Thursday I picked up a lovely little book titled  I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan along with two other books about "bettering my writing." While I am already half way through I love you, Ronnie, I have yet to finish five pages of the other two books. I can't seem to pull myself away from this book, even now as I type I'm torn to close my laptop and finish it off...but I had to share this with someone!

I have always been intrigued with Ronald Reagan former 40th president of the United States, but finding out he was a romantic made me love him even more. The book is filled with love letters, doodles and cards that Nancy saved from Ronald. From their dating years there are simple letters of affection and happiness, that move onto more romantic letters, and cute little one liners.



In one letter he writes "Man can't live without a heart and you are my heart, by far the nicest thing about me and so very necessary. There would be no life without you, nor would I want any." 

In another letter he writes " It is a day on which I love you 365 days more than I did a year ago and 365 days less than I will a year from now. But I wonder how I lived at all for all the three hundred and sixty fives before I met you."  

Sigh.

Where has all the romance like this gone? I hate to sound ancient but nowadays people don't write letters like this, they send instant messages, emails and texts, they take advantage of the person they once fell in love with. Ronald Reagan is the kind of guy I have been holding out for, the kind of guy we should all hold out for! A guy who will love you even more than the day before, who will treat you as if everyday were the day he fell in love with you. And this isn't just for women, but for men too. Never settle for less than you deserve. Okay, maybe you aren't going to get a guy like Ronald who will leave you love letters and doodles at your bedside, but still, I believe in romance, in true love and fate. Call me silly but I'm still holding out for it.


 Though I have yet to finish the book, I definitely recommend the book to anyone who is a romantic, or loves Ronald Reagan. You won't be disappointed!



1 comment: