Caminos Entrelazados or Intertwined Paths.



Part 2
                                                                                                      
     As Ernesto and I arrive in Chamula, we see endless street markets, towering cathedrals and chickens running a muck all around. The colors, sights, and smells seem to conquer my senses, and in submission of them, I am lead to a discreet little table, gluttoned with pan dulce. Every color, taste and flavor imaginable, little ones, medium ones and big, big, big ones. Ones shaped like plump watermelon slices, beefy little piggies, and silly looking ones that were lumpy and ugly all over, but tasted like home, like a memoir almost. My stomach bellowed for them all, though instead I bought one for Ernesto and I to share, I'd share my entire being with that man if I could, if he'd let me. 
I continue on to catch up with him.

I found Ernesto talking politics and sharing drinks with a local gentleman, a man who reminded me of my grandfather, both wise and demented, old in appearance, but young inside. I laugh at the thought of Ernesto in the heart of such a beautiful place, with money in his pocket, and a beautiful woman at his side, yet Ernesto spoke politics to the indigenous. This is why I love him, why I call him mine.
                                                     Ernesto, unlike the other men.

After discussing politics and stuffing our faces, with pan dulce, we head to our hostel to check in, and in exchange for 70 pesos (about 5 USD) we are taken to a room teeming with bunk beds and fellow tourists. The mattress, stained a yellowish brown and half the size of the bed itself, the room tangs of a hippies underarm, and there is one restroom to share amongst the ten of us.
                                 "This is living it up, Aeida!" Ernesto joked
                             "Sure is!" I announced as unpack to take a shower

 Ernesto and a fellow roommate awaited me, as I depart the shower. I later got to know this stranger as Romero, a man so tall I felt ashamed standing next to him, a face so perfectly sculpted, it was unfair really, short muddy brown hair, daunting hazels eyes and a smile so embracing that with just one smile I'd felt like I'd known him all my life. Romero had been migrating from Oaxaca, in search of "paraíso" he said...paradise, I understood. His English seemed to be just as horrid as my Spanish, so we got along well, with Ernesto as our interpreter of course.


Though I never could remember too much from that night, I remember Romero convincing us to  split a taxi to a nearby town, where he said some friends of his were having a party. I had remembered this one instance when Romero, a girl with a peace sign painted on her face and myself had walked down the street to get more ice, and as we were walking back, each of us, with a bag of ice in our hands, Romero inquired "What you come Mexico for?"

I throw a confused smile his way "The beauty I suppose"

"Ahh, okay I see, pues,a dónde vas manana?" (Where will you go tomorrow?)

"Yo no se" (I don't know) seemed to be the simplest route to the end of the conversation.

Though the truth was, I had absolutely no idea where I was going, or when I would stop going. I had left my life back in California, my job, school and my family. In search of something beautiful, something breath taking,something worth living for. And yet there I was, unsure of where I would go next. Though I believe that was the beauty of it, I had the world at hand.

Romero looked at me confused with only three words to say as he rested his hand on my shoulder in comfort
"Seguir tu corazon"

 My vocabulary had not yet broadened to this level, I looked at him confused.

"Follow your heart" the girl with the peace sign painted on her face explained.

These are the first words she had spoken all night,  and I will remember this moment always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wake me up when it's over.

Days like you.

The fall.