Tostadas, familia, and oh so much more.

Palenque, Chiapas          

It's been almost a week since I’ve returned to San Cristobal from Palenque. Who knows, maybe even less, I've always been terrible with estimation. Regardless of the actual time, it's felt like years. I've gotten to know the place and the people so quickly and can hardly imagine leaving.  New faces and stories are seen and heard each day by travelers from all around the globe, and each time they head off to further destinations, we are forced to say goodbye and go forward. As hard as one can try to detach themselves you simply cannot help it, you fall in love.


Recently I'd celebrated a 22nd birthday, and being amongst people I hadn't even known a month ago, I expected nothing more than a “Feliz Cumpleaños” if even that, to me it had simply been another day.  Though come nightfall I had been surprised by the entire hostel with an enormous cake, and off key singing of Feliz Cumpleaños. My heart melted as quickly as the trick candles did. Jonathon, an American man who had lingered here from California, and spoke terrible Spanish banged his fork against the table, to catch everyone’s attention “Un tostada” he’d shouted “Un tostada para Nico” he repeated. We’d all looked around for these so called “tostadas” and burst out in laughter, in realization that he was trying to give a toast…not a tostada (a delicious little fried tortilla with beans and such on it) as the night tip toed on we’d laughed and danced the night away.  As we do most nights here. 

San Cristobal, Chiapas


Last night in the kitchen as we’d cooked a farewell dinner for a couple from Argentina Yoli, the “Hostel mom” had said “Somos familia” and though my Spanish is still progressing, I’d understood exactly what she’d said. We are family, no matter how long or short of a stay someone has spent in Posada 5, in San Cristobal they have become part of the family, part of something some hardly recognize. 

And I wish to never leave or forget this place. Well, I’ve semi-gotten my wish. I’ve landed a job teaching English at a school here in San Cristobal de las Casas.  I was told “You’re like an angel who’d fallen out of the sky” when found by the Director of the school, because an English teacher was very much needed at the school and well, here I am. Ready to weather this out with them. I had simply planned on staying out here two weeks, three weeks tops, and have been caught up in this beautiful little routine. I will be out here for all of next month, I’m sure of that…as of anything further than that…quién sabe? (who knows) All I know is, that I start work tomorrow and I’m happy. I’m experiencing life a little differently, coming out of my comfort zone of materialistic items, cookie cutter living, and warm weather.
    
                                                                Mostly, warm weather. 


Comments

  1. I am truly happy for you that you get to experience this pedaso de pastel.I pray that God will grant you understanding and wisdom to be able to fulfill this task . Nikki I pray God's protection over you and I also pray that you use wisdom in all areas of your walk in Him. Guard your heart and don't compromise His living word. I love you and I will really miss you. It was hard enough when you were in San Jacinto well can you imagine now? Just remember I love you and pray that your plans line up with God's will and purpose for your life MOM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wake me up when it's over.

Days like you.

The fall.